So, How is this server?

General Everquest discussion.
criddopher

So, How is this server?

Post by criddopher » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am

I play/played on p99 forever. Whats this server like for a US player? Hows the population? Can you get groups easy enough? Do most all quests work etc? Is there major bugs that are going to drive me crazy?

Considering most the posts on this forum are quite old I figured this worth asking before investing time into it. thanks!

Reyed

Re: So, How is this server?

Post by Reyed » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 pm

**This is just my OPINION**

I've not experienced what it's like at the high levels. I 2-box a druid/rogue and am at level 15 right now. I haven't grouped with a single person. I routinely do a "/who all 12 19" (or whatever my level range has been) and see about half-dozen people in that level range. No one seems to want to group, based on the /tells I send and get back.

Also, I'd recommend checking out R&F. There is a fairly "robust" discussion on spawn rates and drop rates for certain mobs and items.

My summary, based on what I've read and actually seen in game, is that this server will never get more than a couple of guilds that raid or a couple hundred players online. The community here seems destined to be slightly more toxic than what I see on P99. If you want to raid, and have a significant amount of time to invest, this may be OK if you get into one of the few guilds. Otherwise, if you're looking for a good population of people that play casually and like to group, I'd look elsewhere (P99 or P2002).

Vexine

Post by Vexine » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I'll add some opinions too, which both agree and disagree with some of the points above.

First off, I agree that there will be a challenge finding groups as you level up to 50. Not impossible, but definitely more difficult depending on your playtimes.
The server population simply isn't high enough yet - but every new character (and positive word of mouth) helps.
At 50, there are two primary raid guilds to choose from, and some other developing/growing guilds of active players on their way up.

In terms of the R&F section complaints on drops - part of that is true.
Some old-school prestige/nerfed items (guise, manastone) are indeed still available, but they are seriously hard to get. This has people on both sides of the issue, and visit R&F to see those sides if you care. I play a DEF NEC, so I don't care about either item, personally. :)

However, in terms of a strong "potential" for the entire server to become as toxic as p99 due to the guise/manastone issue, I wholeheartedly disagree.
My experience up to L40 has been incredibly positive with many people who are members of the "end-game". I've had people specifically /t me and ask if i'm new to the server, if I need any help getting started, or need any other support.
I've had people volunteer to donate entire weekends of their playtime just to hook me up with some baby-sitting power-level love, quest help, cash help, and hand-me-down gear help.
What this means, is people here understand how important it is to differentiate themselves from the toxic cesspool of raiding that is p99. (I came here from p99, specifically to avoid the end-game situation there).
It also means EQR has people who care about attracting and keeping new players, which is the lifeblood of any server.
I've already starting paying my support forward, and have handed down all my outgrown gear to similar new players. I also make a point when I can to visit with L1-5 people I see around newbie zones, and check if they're new and need a leg up.

This isn't to say that there aren't awesome people on any server; but my point is that we definitely do have them here on EQR.
Don't judge a server by an R&F forum with people mad about manastone drop rates. That issue is so tiny and insignificant compared to the overall quality of people you'll find if you give the population a chance.

This is a great thread/discussion to have, I hope more members will post their opinions here too.

Muddie

Post by Muddie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 pm

I'll throw in my 2 cents as a relative newcomer to the server (been here approximately 2 months)

Most of the people here are extremely helpful and giving. I've been given gear. I've had people stop what they were doing to help me or even group with me for awhile, and most are very open to sharing thier experience. These people tell me they help not only because they were once in my position, but that they want to see the server prosper and grow. That says a lot to me about the community here and keeps me coming back.

I like to try different class / race combinations, so none of my characters are of high level. I share this because at the lower and middle levels, it can be a challenge to find a group. So many players 2-box and the usual server population just doesn't support it most of the time. This is an issue for me because one of the draws of the game has always been the interaction with other players. I don't like to solo and I don't like to 2-box, so it can be frustrating.

While I have (for the most part) enjoyed my time so far, I am seeing some signs of concern. First, I've seen the server population drop slightly since my initial logon. Not a huge number, but when the most Ive seen on at once is ~175, it doesn't take much of a drop to be noticeable. Second, and this is just very recently, I find server support to be lacking somewhat. The chat service has been down and at least one zone reported to have serious issues for the last few days, yet there has been no update or communication at all from the server admin that I can find. I don't pretend to know the situation or reason for this, and since I've not had any issues to this point will certainly not be judgemental, however it is something that is beginning to concern me.

I fully intend to give this server time to evolve and will be patient as I feel I owe it to the people who have helped me along the way. That said, I can say my play time on the server will be reduced until these new issues are resolved.

Reyed

Post by Reyed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:24 pm

Vexine wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 pm
However, in terms of a strong "potential" for the entire server to become as toxic as p99 due to the guise/manastone issue...
It was not my intent to isolate that specific complaint as the reason for predictable toxicity. My apologies if it came across that way.

Jarroll

Post by Jarroll » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 am

The wife and I have both been enjoying the server. Almost everyone we've met has been pretty awesome. We've spent the last 15 levels in lower guk and have migrated around as we've leveled. There haven't really been issues around who is camping what or things of that nature that plague so many things. We're getting close to 50 now on our main set of characters and almost done camping the things we are after in lower guk. I am looking forward to moving out at 50 to try some of the new things. We just have our four characters in our own little guild (just a nostalgic thing) of our characters at the moment so I am not really sure who/what/how things will work for us at 50.